Wednesday 23 June 2010

Outdoors at Night

Brief:
The aim of this exercise is to explore the variety lighting effects and colour in artificial light.




These images were taken on the all night photoshoot last weekend. The first 2 were taken around sunset so there is still some colour in the sky.
Although the sky in the final image lacks detail, I liked the glassy effect of the River Thames caused by a 30 second exposure.



This was a crafty shot taken on Monday evening in an amusement arcade in The Trocadero. I wasn't able to fine-tune the camera settings because I was trying to avoid being seen by the security staff and the man using the machine! I managed to rescue most of the highlights by duplicating the image at different exposures in RAW and then tone mapping them in Photomatix Pro.


This is a group of Spaniards in Leicester Square who were celebrating Spain's 2-nil win over Honduras in the World Cup. I'm not sure what type of vehicle cast the red light on the pavement, but I like the effect.


This was taken outside the Hampshire Hotel in Leicester Square. I was first attracted by the fairy lights above the entrance, then I noticed the many different colours being cast by the surrounding buildings.

What have I learned?
The last 3 images were taken with a Nikon D80, which does not perform particularly well at ISOs above 400. Consequently, there was much trial and error and a few deleted shots.
For the next set of shots, I will use a Nikon D700 because it copes better in low light. this will allow me to concentrate more on composition and perhaps be more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment