Monday 5 July 2010

Outdoors at Night ...One Last Time


This is the Coliseum on St Martin's Lane, the home of the English National Opera. A very attractive building when it's all lit up and I wanted to capture the name in the revolving sign at the top.


This is Charing Cross Station. The mixed lighting sources played havoc with the auto white balance so I had to do some colour correction in Photoshop. With hindsight, I should have done a custom white balance setting.


This is the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. I didn't have my tripod with me so I had to prop my camera on my rucksack which was carefully placed on a pillar. I always carry a hotshoe-mounted spirit level as I've had problems in the past with wonky shots.


I wanted this view of Leicester Square Gardens as it includes several types of lighting. The scrolling sign on the ticket booth has become a solid red block due to the slow shutter speed, but this complements the green foreground. This also required a camera-on-rucksack balancing act .

What have I learned?
I've noticed a huge array of lighting sources and colour combinations used to light up the city, and many buildings are totally transformed by the choice of lighting. My camera skills were put to the test and the limitations of my camera were exposed, so all in all, a long, but useful exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment