Friday 19 March 2010

"Shifting Perspectives"

I went to the gallery in the Oxo Tower today. I vaguely remember reading that there was on exhibition on, but I couldn't remember what it was about. I learned that this is in its sixth year and looks at the lives of people with Down's Syndrome.

In one section, there is a write-up about a woman who gave birth to a child with Down's Syndrome, and was told that she would not be able to breastfeed since it would be 'too difficult'. She persisted and was successful, and this spawned a collection of images of various women breastfeeding. The aim of which is to both highlight and celebrate the importance of breastfeeding.

In another section a number of young people with Down's Syndrome have been photographed with objects that they see as representing their human rights. The objects are interesting - a cinema pass, a mobile phone, a cookbook and many others. The accompanying stories are both insightful and amusing.

The pictures are of very high quality but I was more interested in the subjects and the stories they had to tell. For once, I wasn't really thinking about rules of composition, colour and lighting, although I found the pictures aesthetically pleasing so perhaps they were being registered subconsciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment